Friday, July 21, 2017

Day 1

It's been a long day! Been a 2-day-long day. Got up for work at 7 am yesterday. It's now the equivalent of 1:30 pm today. No sleep. Seventeen hours traveling. So far, we've had a kid throw up, and already had enough plane delays to miss a connecting flight. But the weather here is awesome! A cool 65, 70 degrees!

I got to check off a bucket list item by driving on the left side of the road, but the rental car I was given is a huge, massive behemoth, and we were driving on some very narrow roads. I didn't have too much trouble with staying on the left side, but I did have some issues due to the size of the vehicle. Frustrating and disappointing because I pride myself on being a good driver, and today I didn't prove that I am.

No scones, yet, but I did get my first, real English fish and chips. And mashed peas. I ate all the fish and chips. I did not eat all the mashed peas.



England is beautiful! I haven't taken any scenery pictures yet because of that whole driving thing, but I saw more sheep today than I have in my whole lifetime. And we went through some quaint, little English villages that were the cutest things ever! And check out the house we're staying in! It's so cool! Although it's tiny - 2 bathrooms for 13 people!


 And this is my new friend:


And I really, really want to call my mom and talk with her about sll this stuff. 

Hoping I can sleep. 

So, um, good night.

6 comments:

  1. My biggest problem over there was remembering to look in the correct direction for oncoming traffic when I was pulling onto a multi-lane road. My mind just saw all those lanes and assumed everything worked the same. Once I got past that I felt pretty comfortable - but my very first day I nicked the left curb on a highway and punctured a tire. So you're way ahead of where I was. Then after living there for three years, I had to readjust when I got home. Believe it or not, that took several drives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually broke the side mirror. I was passing another big vehicle and moved to the left to avoid it; hit the mirror on a tree. I had several curb bumps but nothing serious. I'm deterimined to get better, but my passengers are uncertain.

      Delete
  2. So excited for you. The countryside from Heathrow to Doncaster is beautiful!!! I wish we were with you! You're doing great with the driving. I nearly got run over crossing the street b/c of looking in the wrong direction. And that was with the sign on the pavement that said "Look right". Duh. Tell Eric and Lisa "hi" for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you were running on adrenaline the first day. Hope you get a chance to capture some scenery during the week. London is great, but I've equally enjoyed getting out in the country when I've been there. If you get a chance to visit the grocery store, check out the crisps (Lays tries to do flavors but they just don't measure up to the Brit's version!)
    Sheila

    PS - Sorry about the throw up, but you're mom would have loved your stories and your reactions to ALL of your experiences :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "YOUR MOM"
      I hate it when autocorrect makes me look illiterate! (Especially in front of you. Haha!

      Delete